TSM Automatic Width Control Systems gives you the customer, three options for maintaining a specific film / bubble size during normal operation:
- Layflat Measurement
- Ultrasonic Bubble Measurement
- Combined Layflat and Ultrasonic Measurement
All systems are ideal for managing on-the-fly film size changes, reducing the time it takes to get the bubble on size and also minimizing changes in lay flat due to temperature conditions or film stretch. Options two & three, as described below, offer optimum systems for gusseted film.
FEATURES OF ALL TSM WIDTH CONTROL UNITS
- Simple to install and operate
- Lay flat or Ultrasonic measurement available
- Suitable for all film types and colours
- Displays instantaneous width and average width
- Automatic monitor and failsafe alarm
- Measures 0 – 393.7”
- Measurement resolution 0.004”
- Display resolution 0.04”
- Readily expandable and upgradeable
- Automatic bubble inflation/deflation (correction) when combined with optional automatic air correction unit
OPTION 1: LAY FLAT MEASUREMENT
A single Layflat scanner houses two dynamic infra-red sensors which automatically seek and track the edges of the film irrespective of colour or thickness.
OPTION 2: ULTRASONIC BUBBLE DIAMETER MEASUREMENT
3 x ultrasonic sensors are positioned around the circumference of the film, situated just above the frost line, to measure the bubble diameter.
OPTION 3: COMBINED LAY FLAT & ULTRASONIC’S
Both the Lay flat & the Bubble Diameter Measurement system are combined to give the finest automatic width control system on the market.
- All options compute the width correct to the nearest 0.004”.
- A control action proportional to any error is initiated via the TSM Air Correction Unit.
- For fully rotating dies, an air compressor in conjunction with a radio transmitter and receiver is used.
- Modular controller design coupled with comprehensive diagnostic software ensures that the system can be easily installed and maintained by plant personnel.
- The lay flat width scanner is coated in a hard wearing, low friction proprietary PTFE coating, incorporating infrared edge sensors that are unaffected by film colours or ambient light. Status indicators of both width and limit sensors are included for diagnostic purposes.